Deborah L. Barron, B.A., LLB.*
Barrister & Solicitor
Calgary Personal Injury Lawyer
Deborah L. Barron has more than 30 years of experience assisting clients who have suffered from traumatic injuries, particularly those resulting from motor vehicle accidents (drivers and passengers), from bicycle and motorcycle accidents and from pedestrian accidents.
Don’t trust that an insurance company has your best interests at heart. After getting out of hospital or right after your first visit to your physician, it is strongly advised that you contact Deborah L. Barron as soon as you can manage to do so. The earlier that you obtain this legal advice, the more likely it is that your Calgary Personal Injury Lawyer, Deborah L. Barron, can provide the information that you require in your particular circumstances to negotiate the hurdles you will encounter and achieve the best possible result.
Steps to Take After Being in an Accident and Suffering a Personal Injury:
1. At the accident scene, it is essential that you obtain the following:
- complete names of the driver and owner of the wrongdoer’s vehicle (driver and owner could be two separate persons or owner could be a business)
- addresses and telephone numbers for the driver and owner of the vehicle
- driver’s operator’s license number (if you have a smart phone, please photograph the driver’s license)
- insurance information (again, if you have a smart phone, please photograph the vehicle insurance card)
- it isn’t essential, but very helpful to also photograph the damaged portions of both vehicles
- also, it is extremely helpful to obtain names, addresses and telephone numbers of witnesses
2. Photograph any physical evidence of your injuries, such as bruises, cuts, bandages, collars, casts etc. immediately and later, as bruises change color.
3. IMMEDIATELY, attend at a hospital emergency department or see your family physician to receive treatment and medical substantiation for your potential claim.
4. Records are extremely important. Therefore, please complete the “Accident Interview Form”, “Pain and Suffering Table” and the “Household Chores Table” (and ”Daily Living Tasks Table” if relevant) found in the Forms section of this website and email them to Deborah Barron as soon as possible after your accident, when your memory is fresh.
Also, please keep the forms saved on your computer, so that you can update them from time to time. Also, start saving photographs of your vehicle and your injuries, your receipts for expenses, copies of prescriptions, employer’s, doctor’s and therapist’s notes. Email these to Deborah and also keep copies of these in a safe place.
5. Do not discuss your injuries with or sign any documents for the wrongdoer’s insurance adjuster, as the adjuster will record everything that you say and the adjuster’s goal is for you to obtain no settlement or as low a settlement as possible.
6. AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, email or call to book an appointment to obtain legal advice from Deborah L. Barron regarding your potential claims, the important steps to take to assure your best possible settlement and the time limits that may apply. Deborah L. Barron will accommodate you with an appointment on an expeditious basis.
If possible, complete the “Accident Interview Form” included with the Forms section prior to your first appointment and bring the Accident Interview Form with you. Also bring the items referred to in points 2), 3) and 4) above.